SF City Clinic is not able to test patients for coronavirus. If you are experiencing respiratory symptoms like cough, fever, or shortness of breath, and are concerned about coronavirus, please contact your primary care provider.
Can I get COVID-19 through sexual activity?
YES! Exposure to the virus can occur during sexual activities.
- COVID-19 has not yet been found in semen or vaginal fluid.
- COVID-19 has been found in feces of people who are infected with the virus.
We still have a lot to learn about COVID-19 and sex.
The San Francisco Department of Public Health recommends avoiding close contact - including sex - with anyone outside your household. If you do have sex with others, have as few partners as possible and avoid group sex. If you usually meet your sex partners online or make a living by having sex, consider taking a break from in-person dates. Video dates, sexting, or chat rooms may be options for you.
Click the image to download the full document
COVID-19 Sexual Health Tips
Sex in the time of COVID-19 - Courtesy of ENDHIVOregon.org
Visit these additional links for more information:
- San Francisco Department of Public Health COVID-19 Facts https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/coronavirus.asp
- Frequently Asked Questions for the Public About Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) https://www.sfcdcp.org/infectious-diseases-a-to-z/coronavirus-2019-novel-coronavirus/
- Interim Guidance for COVID-19 and Persons with HIV LINK TO FULL ARTICLE
- Stay Healthy Suggestions from our partners at Building Healthy Online Communities https://www.bhocpartners.org/coronavirus/
- San Francisco has launched a COVID-19 Dashboard which includes case related data citywide https://data.sfgov.org/stories/s/fjki-2fab
- UPDATE: Please click here for details regarding our PrEP services during the COVID-19 emergency.